Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!

sugar skulls by Heather 2008


Hello. Heather and I are here blogging together--just a little girl on girl action (sorry, shameless way to draw random google search visitors). Really we're here to bestow well wishes and greetings to you in the hopeful beginnings of this new year.


Heather and I were talking today about inspiration, why we create and what we have to say with our work, and have decided to briefly comment on our thoughts...


Jen's comments on art/2009:

As I pondered what art means to me, why I create and what I'm trying to say, I realized I'm not trying to say anything really. No message, just cathartic paint strokes creating aesthetically pleasing (hopefully) pictures of fluff. Sometimes there is meaning, but only meaningful to me. I guess it's really a translation of (candidly speaking) ugly thoughts and feelings into something I'm willing to look at. As for this new year: Bring it, let me see it--let's go.


Heather's comments on art/2009:

What inspires me? Usually inspiration comes from what I can produce in the 20 minutes I have while the baby is napping, or what I can create while helping with homework and eating tacos. Oh, also what paint coordinates with my sweatpants in case I get some on them (which I usually do) deep huh? I am mostly attracted to color and how it makes me feel. Like most creative endeavors, it's a release. Happy beginnings and happy endings to you in this upcoming year. Good riddance 2008!


*the above photo features some bejeweled sugar skulls that Heather recently created. I hadn't been to her house in a while, and they so fancifully caught my eye--we had to share them. Below is a preview photo of a painting I finished a couple of days ago for our upcoming show.

when life hands you lemons... by jen 2008



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year!
Lovely painting also. It's so very cool.

Payne Family said...

Hi you guys! I love the skulls! Do you eat them or just for beautiful decoration?? Either way, too cool. I also love the lemon painting. You guys are so creative! Send me some of that. I am dreadfully bored at a time in my life when I can do anything?? Got any brilliant suggestions? If so, PLEASE let me know. :)

Heather Jarvis said...

Aren't Heather's skulls great? I actually don't think they're for eating, but when she wasn't looking, I licked two of them--tasted sparkly.
Speaking on behalf of both of us, we're envious that you are at the time in your life when you could do anything! The fact that you're asking for suggestions means that you're just on the brink of something big. Keep us informed.
-jen