Thursday, January 29, 2009

Unexpected




So I've been noticing a theme lately with my art. I didn't intend to create several (or even one for that matter) religious pieces (Jesus started it!) but sometimes it's not really up to me. Most of the art I create for me, by that I mean not commissioned by others, or a say a portrait where I need to take every step with intention, can be an unconscious process. When I paint freely I often come up with unexpected things that I didn't even know were inside of me. It really is like therapy (although much cheaper... I should know).

The Mary piece almost shocked me... what am I trying to say? There are many ways to take this and everyone that has come across her has a different view, which is what I love about art and what can be beautiful about religion as well. My mother always told me that the bible was my personal gift and that it was meant to speak to me exactly how I needed to hear it. Art is the same, it is personal and up to interpretation. Each piece has it's own story for each viewer, it's own life. I am merely a vessel, and I do think all art is a divine gift.

Anything that elicits thought is a good thing.


(Heather)

No comments: