Saturday, April 25, 2009

whack-a-doodle? yes I am, but so is Heather!

fried prawns party bird 2009 mixed media by jen


Well. I'm not even really sure what I should say, but I thought I should say something. I haven't blogged in awhile because I haven't really felt like I have something relevant to say. I guess I could confess to feeling a little overwhelmed--which actually is a constant state in this season of my life. But in contrast, I feel like I've got it all under control. Always balance. Always dark, always light. Always good, always bad. Always flow, always opposition...and on and on. What is she talking about? I don't know, or do I? This is turning out kind of funny.

Anyway, inspiring to me today is the book I'm (and probably Heather) currently reading for our book club, called The Outliers, by Malcolm Gladwell. I'm working on my 10,000 hours of something (?) to become proficient and successful. By the way, our book club is called "the most awesome book club ever," and although I've never participated in a book club (or any club that I can think of for that matter), it does seem to be the most awesome. It was founded and named by Jason, Heather's husband, a writing and reading fanatic.

Also inspiring is a little etsy shop http://www.clevernettle.etsy.com/. There are only a few items, but they're truly unique and cool--particularly the zine and the booklet about famous Bills.

Last and always inspiring to me (especially Saturdays)--reggae. I really pondered my love and connection with this musical comforter in my life, and how it came to be. It was like a first love; I stumbled upon it at 16 and have loved it since. It actually was on my first date. My friend Steve organized his school dance, a reggae theme, and brought me as his date. Maybe I had heard reggae before, but in the gymnasium on the big system, back to back cuts all night long, it made quite an impression on me. I then moved to Bob, Gregory, Frankie Paul, and some how discovered KCMU's positive vibrations--the Saturday morning reggae show. Reggae Charlie, selector back in the day, selected the soundtrack to my youth, and I've been listening since. Sometimes I wonder if I'll be a crazy old Grandma, still breakin it down to some bumpin dancehall or dub step...and I think, yeah, probably so.
Well, I guess that's it for my whack-a-doodle thoughts for today. Thanks to you reader, for letting me indulge, especially in my public professing of my love for reggae (it's the closest thing I could do to marrying it, although that has not yet been legalized in the state of Washington).
(jen)

2 comments:

Laura said...

Love this little guy.

Heather Jarvis said...

Thanks Laura.
Take care,
jen