Sunday, April 5, 2009

Nothing good comes easy: 3 links

by jen (today)

Thanks to Heather for that sweet post on Friday for my birthday. I really missed her this weekend.
Dinner on Saturday night was at Mary's (as in Mary Hawk from the Feb. group art show), because her husband's birthday is the day before mine, so they put out the most deliciously beautiful sushi spread for us. Thanks Mary and Jonas--gracious hosts and entertainers extraordinaire.

On to 3 links:
*But first a little heads-up. The three this week will take a little work if you're up for the challenge, but anything good doesn't come easy, right?

1. Baltimore Museum of Art--there is a children's Matisse online activity that I think is worth while for kids to experience. I've used it as a tool when presenting a lesson on Matisse for my volunteer work as an art docent at elementary schools. For younger kids, they will probably need help navigating and reading. Matisse's dog, Raoudi, takes you through a colorful lesson about Matisse, which takes about 10 minutes, and at the end, you've collected items for a portfolio that can be used to create and print your own Matisse masterpiece.

DIRECTIONS: From the link (http://artbma.org/families/activities.html#Matisse), click online activity.

2. Kexp--yes, I know I reference kexp a lot, but it is so inspirational. Today it was Preachin' the Blues, hosted by Johnny Horn. There is a particular song that made me laugh out loud when I heard it, called Conversation With Collins, by Albert Collins. He's recounting a bluesy story between he and his lady, and it's awesome (I can dig it). The beauty is, he not only tells it verbally, but he illustrates the conversation with his guitar, and you can hear the banter. It actually inspired a piece I listed in my etsy store today called still mad.

DIRECTIONS: from the link (http://kexp.org/ondemand.asp) go to streaming archive,
then listen by time and submit Sun. Apr. 5 at 10:54 am--that pops you right into the beginning of the song.
I personally think the whole show should be listened to, but this song in particular *as well as use what you got, by Freddy King (10:35 am), which made me smile really big.

3. Vincenzo Rizzo--this link goes to Vincenzo Rizzo's etsy shop, full of very cool art, and makes me wonder how one person could produce so much original art that is so affordable? Nice. (http://www.vincenzorizzo.etsy.com/)

I wasn't kidding. You kind of have to work for the links this week, but they're good.

(jen)

No comments: