Sunday, March 15, 2009

Three links and a thanks.

cardboard blue bird by jennifer 2009

I first want to extend appreciation once again to my friend Bill, who has cut some plywood for me, so that I have 32 little squares on which to paint--thanks a bunch Bill.

I also wanted to initiate our 3 links deal again...you know, 3 links that don't stink, generally highlighting art in many forms or other bits inspirational to Heather and me for whatever reason, explainable or not.

This week's 3:

1. D.S. Brennan Photography- a photographer from Rhode Island, chosen because I thought I'd research what's going on artistically in RI and came across Diana Stith Brennan--I really dig her work.

2. Rat City Rummage- a rummage/arts and crafts sale in South Seattle at a roller rink. I thought this would be a cool link for artists, junk collectors, and art collectors alike. I'd like to participate in the future, maybe sell some stuff, and I'm wondering if they'll let me live out my childhood dream of skating as a roller-boogie queen while selling my wares?

3. Walker Rock Garden- a charming garden in the former backyard of the Walkers of West Seattle. I went there as a child and still have a rock that Mr. Walker gave to me somewhere in my collection of things. I linked to a flickr page that opens tons of photos that many people have contributed of the little gem in West Seattle.

So find our 3 links off to the right to click and enjoy.

*A thought on junk and collecting occurred to me while considering this week's links:
I'm a collector from way back, and used to be a bit obsessive. I've kept some of the most ridiculous treasures, like (as a teenager) the matchbook to a friend's friend's friend's sister's wedding, to commemorate that we crashed 2 weddings that night. Really was it necessary? I have a million of such treasures and I realized how silly it is to keep the tangibles. Stuff comes and goes--things, money, relationships, seasons; all we really have is our memories, and even those are fleeting, so really what we have is the moment.
So on that note, I probably should strap on my roller skates and boogie on down to Rat City and sell some of my rummage.

*example, artwork above is from recycled cardboard that used to line my work area when I painted, and I kept it for no other reason than it looked cool and was a journal of colors, materials, and notes to myself during the period in which it was used (at least I've given it a little justifiable purpose).

(jen)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for the link :-) I'm glad you dig my work! Hope you're having a lovely day.

Heather Jarvis said...

Thanks Diana,

I especially like your color gallery.

Take care,
jen