Friday, March 20, 2009

Artwalk happenings

good as gold by jennifer culp 2009

Thank you to all of my friends, old and new, who stopped in to say hello and make my night such an enjoyable time. It was the most fun Edmond's Artwalk I've participated in, and my location was great.

I should first extend appreciation to those at Resident Cheesemonger for having me; thank you, especially Monica--so kind and patient. All who visited the shop were either charmed by it's quaint environment or were there on purpose to purchase specialty cheese with enthusiasm I had not witnessed before. It was so busy, I spent a good portion of the evening up at the head of the shop, near the window and door, trying to stay out of Monica's way while she helped the customers. After about an hour of standing in this particular spot, I heard a girl say, "Look Daddy, 'Beware of cow.'" I looked to see where she was pointing and next to my foot was a little sign displaying the words she had just spoken. There actually was a little plastic cow that usually sat a little closer to the sign, but it seemed to have gotten bumped at some point, and I was then the one closest to the sign, and once pointed out to me, I did take a big step back. This probably alludes to the cow theme present in the shop. You know, cows = cheese.

Anyway, along with my friends of old who stopped by, like Mary from our last art show, and Anita from my sculpture class, I met new friends. Sie-ce, a girl who looked to be a "tween" age, seemed to be attracted to one of my little plywood paintings and told me that she had come up with a name for it--song bird. It was actually funny that she did, because it was the only plywood painting without a title, because I had just finished it about 20 minutes before I packed up for the show. Later Sie-ce came back with a coin purse full of dollars and change, telling me it was almost enough to purchase the little song bird piece and asking if it would be okay. Of coarse she is now the owner of song bird (thank you Sie-ce, and I apologize if I'm not spelling your name correctly).

I also met a sweet man, who showed me his love for birds in a recent tattoo he acquired in memory of his wife. He also shared some beaded jewelry she had made for him (beautiful) and told me how she also liked to paint. He serenaded me briefly with a few Roy Orbison lyrics after sharing his love of singing ballads. Something about his countenance touched me. One of the necklaces he wore was so special, and maybe it was my collector nature that made me feel kindred, but I appreciate the opportunity I had in meeting him.

I did take a moment to run up the street to see the art of Lynne Alexander. Someone had mentioned that she too had some bird works, so I had to check it out. Her work can be seen at http://www.alexanderartworks.net/, and both Heather and I would like to have one of her bird in the house pieces. I was told about artist Karol Westphal, but was unable to make it to see her work. I looked online at http://www.daisyskyscape.com/ to see her work and love her florals and landscapes. Her poppy looks similar to a poppy that I did as a demonstration at my first Edmond's Artwalk, which is always a funny thing, but like said before, there are no new ideas (mine can be seen an http://www.artistrising.com/, searching jennifer culp, if you're inclined to see what I mean).
The night ended with good food, drink, and laughter. Thanks to Heather and her husband Jason, I don't think I've laughed so hard since our last dinner after our last art show.

(jen)

No comments: