Sunday, November 2, 2008

Trees: The Ladies and Gentlemen of the Forest


I might be crazy, but there is this tree I pass by everyday, and I feel like I know him. I've always had an appreciation of nature, but this tree caused me to realize how much trees resemble humans (or vice versa). I like to think of them as wise men and elegant ladies, with their arms stretched out--palms up, fingers delicately spread--and in the winter they catch puffy bits of snow. It's not surprising that now it's fall, the trees are dramatically making their presence known. The other day my kids and I stood beneath a canopy of very tall trees while hundreds of leaves rained down on us (with big gusts of wind), all the while trying to catch a leaf, which is harder than it sounds because they fall unpredictably.
When all of the trees finally lose their leaves, they're left unclothed and their essence is revealed--which is how I first noticed my tree friend.
Just so you know, he is not featured here; we once took a picture of him, but it was too dark and it didn't turn out, but when he sheds his leaves again, I am going to take a new picture, which is the point of this post; my new series will be entitled: Ladies and Gentlemen (inspired by trees).
(jen)
By the way, new links will be added in the next day or two, including at least one pick from Heather. Tune in.
2008 painting ispired by trees (above)




No comments: