Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A couple of things...


It's been nearly a week since I've written, and I just can't stay away today (wow an unintended triple rhyme). I first want to share a picture I took. If you've read the "Ladies and Gentlemen of the Forest" post, then you understand I have a special (maybe weird) appreciation for the personalities of trees. Soon after I shared my thoughts on trees, I stepped outside to snap some pictures for inspiration. When I uploaded the images on my computer I was pleasantly surprised to find the knees of this lady tree. She looks to be standing demurely (or maybe cleaning fluids are finally getting to me).

Also, I've been sitting on this story for some time, and I just have to share. If there is anyone out there reading this that has had a similar experience I REALLY want to hear about it, because it was very surreal for me.
Well as many of you may know, Heather and I started by painting children's furniture for a local consignment shop in Seattle. Back then, about 8 or so years ago, neither of us created art on a consistent basis. It seemed like our stuff sold well, and as I created it, I wondered where it would end up--much like now. So this summer Heather and I were doing some mural work in Seattle, for a household that was admirable in their appreciation for art.
While Heather and I were setting up shop, I spotted something familiar out of the corner of my eye. Down the hall, in the middle of the reading room was a rubber duck step stool I had painted. It was so exciting. It was still loved and used after all of these years, and (if I do say so myself) has held up quite well. [The picture below, not so good, but you can at least see the stool].


my step stool friend in its environment

When I imagined this day, the day I randomly came across my art that someone had purchased, I imagined it would be one of my masterpiece paintings that I slaved over for months--but no, it was a humble little step stool.
It was very inspiring though. It was as if the logos were telling me my work was worthy and I should continue. It put a little hop in my paintbrush.


*On another note, I have some new links I'd like to post, but I'd also like to check with Heather and see if she has some too. Also, she's working on some projects...I'm eager to see.

(jen)

No comments: