Saturday, September 27, 2008

Therapeutic Endeavor/ Crochet Sculpting



sliced bread friend

I recently started back to school, which means I'm unable to find as much uninterrupted time to paint. I still have the need to create, and recently have been inspired to make crochet sculpture friends (sad, that may say something about me). I have to explain: it is important to understand these are sculptures--with imperfections. If you haven't noticed, I am the type of artist who welcomes imperfections. Imperfections add to personality of art, and people for that matter. My mom showed me one simple stitch in crochet (not sure if that is the correct term used in crochet), so any creation I come up with is of my own design. I truly am not one to follow recipes.

I love food and am creating a line of food friends. I've done cupcakes in the past, so I thought I would try my hands at something less predictable--like sliced bread and a green olive.


green olive friend

I also created this little chick (chicky babe, as my driving teacher used to call us girls...you have to love the not-so-politically correct late 80's). Chicky babe comes with a peek-a-boo shell to hide in when necessary.

chicky babe

chicky babe in her shell

And I know owls are trendy, but I had to create one; I saw two owls in one week, which served me as a sign and inspired me to create a whole line of animals inspired by creatures I see around my house. I'm currently working on a bat (which I had to shoo out of my house last year), and mouse (which I had to shoo out of my house last week), and plan to do a bunny, a raccoon, and some birds. Some of the creatures I've encountered around my property and house, have somewhat bothered me (don't get me started on insects), so part of creating these sculptures is to embrace these experiences.

Art as therapy once again.


(n) menagerie (a collection of live animals for study or display)

(jen)

2 comments:

LuckyRedHen said...

Oh my goodness these are too CUTE! You're so full of creative juices :)

queencraftygirl said...

I love the owl, its darling! And I love all of your paintings they are amazing.