Sunday, August 24, 2008

Edmond's Artwalk

Last Thursday I had the opportunity to participate in the Edmond's Artwalk, which is one of my favorite places to show, mostly due to the fact that Edmond's is one of my favorite artsy beach towns.
I was stationed at Marilyn Young Beauty, http://www.marilynyoungbeauty.com/, and if you're ever in the area, it is a beauty boutique that is definitely worth checking out. Marilyn is as nice as she is beautiful (she's very pretty), and her shop is festive, feminine, and full of eye candy. She also has a sweet black cat named Ava Gardner that roams the shop.
I had the good fortune to meet many new people, and to see several familiar faces; and even fortunate enough to sell some work.
I am including a photo of a commission piece I recently completed for a patron. I borrowed this piece to share at the Artwalk, and I thought it might be worth sharing, since it is accurately representative of the direction I am currently creating. It's a large (36"x 48") mixed media--acrylic, spray paint, vintage cookbook paper, and cotton cloth. It's symbolic of a family tree, and it's entitled, "and the tree was happy," after Shel Silverstein's The Giving Tree. (photo above)


Also for the Artwalk, in lieu of the traditional portfolio, I created a journal type book to display past work and some of the stories and inspiration surrounding the pieces.

If you have yet to visit the Edmond's Artwalk, it is definitely worth your time. I think it may be one of the few in the Seattle area that is year round (can't let a little rain keep you down). Here's the link if interested: http://www.manyaveeselects.com/
(jen)




1 comment:

LuckyRedHen said...

I was one of the fortunate to see you at the Edmond's Art Walk and agree that everyone should go! Your work looked great in the beauty shop and you did a fantastic job presenting it, yourself and what local art is all about :)